The NSW Government has released the draft Design and Building Practitioners Regulation 2020 (the Regulation) for public consultation.
This Regulation supports the Design and Building Practitioners Act 2020 that was passed by Parliament on 3 June 2020 and will commence on 1 July 2021.
The Regulation includes the following key reforms:
- A registration scheme for design practitioners, principal design practitioners, building practitioners and professional engineers
- Minimum requirements that these practitioners must meet to be registered
- New obligations for lodging regulated designs and compliance declarations
- Codes of Practice for design practitioners, principal design practitioners, building practitioners and professional engineers that set minimum professional and ethical standards
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements that apply to these practitioners to maintain registration
- Prescribed penalty notice offences.
Industry is invited to provide feedback to the government by Monday 11 January 2021.
Information on how to make a submission, as well as copies of the Regulation, Regulatory Impact Statement and CPD Guidelines, can be found on the NSW Government Have Your Say website.