The course was created by the Air Conditioning & Mechanical Contractors’ Association to share knowledge, support talent, and promote growth across the industry.
Statement of attainment
Once you have completed assessment requirements to a satisfactory level, you will be issued with a Statement of Completion, valid for 5 years from the course date.
This course is recommended for any workers who are involved in the certification, supervision, installation, and annual assessment of fire and smoke dampers.
Your coursework will cover:
- Fundamentals (fire compartments and separation, fire protection and resistance)
- Regulations and standards (openings and shafts)
- Hardware (fire, smoke, and air dampers; sub-ducts)
- Installation (requirements and conditions)
- Certification (regulatory requirements)
- Maintenance (requirements and frequency)
This program is best suited to those who have experience in the installation, supervision, or certification of fire and smoke dampers.
To participate in this course, you must have:
- 3-years of supervised installation of ventilation ductwork involving fire and smoke damper installations in multi-compartment buildings, or
- 3-years of supervised work including operation checking, maintenance, and certification of fire and smoke damper installations, or
- 3-years as a site supervisor or site manager of ventilation ductwork involving fire and smoke damper installations in multi-compartment buildings (with at least 2-years of supervised work), or
- 5-years as a consultant’s site supervisor of ventilation ductwork involving fire and smoke dampers installations in multi-compartment buildings (with at least 2-years of supervised work)
Delivery and assessment
This is a full-day course, including an examination in the afternoon. You will be required to study the Training Program manual, complete a pre-course assignment, attend the course, and complete the exam. The Training Program manual and pre-course assignment will be sent to you 4 weeks before the course date.
Pre-course assignments are to be submitted on the day of the course. While we encourage a cooperative exchange of information, please note the assignment must be completed individually. To this end, you will be required to sign a non-collusion agreement confirming that the assignment is your original work.
To pass this course, you will need to successfully demonstrate knowledge in the application of building regulations and Australian Standards relevant to the installation and certification of fire and smoke dampers in new, existing, and refurbished buildings. An understanding of both installation and servicing requirements is required, regardless of whether you only work with installation or servicing.
The supervised exam is open book and comprises multiple choice and short answer questions. You will need to achieve at least 70% on both the assignment and exam in order to pass this course.
This full day course is offered five times throughout 2022.
| Course date
|| Registration close
| 17 February 2022
|| 13 January 2022
| 7 April 2022
|| 3 March 2022
| 23 June 2022
|| 19 May 2022
| 25 August 2022
|| 21 July 2022
| 27 October 2021
|| 22 September 2022
Cost and payment
This course is offered to AMCA members and RACCA members at a discounted rate. Complimentary tea and coffee is provided on the day.
Refund and cancellation policy
A full refund will be provided if the AMCA is notified in writing at least 5 working days prior to the workshop. We reserve the right to cancel, postpone, or reschedule due to insufficient registrations or other reasons beyond our control. In the event of a cancellation, a full refund will be provided.
How to apply
Complete a registration form and return to AMCA New South Wales.